< Back

23rd November 2021, 09:16

​33-year-old man arrested on suspicion of murdering Michael Montegriffo

A 33-year-old local man was arrested on Tuesday morning on suspicion of murdering Michael Montegriffo.

During the morning of Saturday 7th July 2018, 58-year-old Michael Montegriffo was found lying on the ground by Gavino’s Dwellings on Prince Edward’s Road. He died a few hours later at St Bernard’s Hospital.

The police continues to appeal for anyone with any information that may be relevant to the investigation to come forward: the Duty Officer can be reached on 20072500 or via www.police.gi/report/seen-heard

11.15 on Saturday 7th of July 2018 - Michael Montegriffo found with a head injury, dies later at hospital

At about a quarter past 11 on Saturday 7th July 2018, police were alerted to the fact that Michael Montegriffo had been found shortly before by a member of the public lying on the pavement by Gavino’s Dwellings and bleeding from an injury to his head.

GHA Ambulance personnel carried out emergency medical treatment before taking him to St Bernard’s Hospital, where he was given intensive trauma treatment.

Mr Montegriffo died from his injuries at about 13:15 that same day.

The Coroner was informed and an investigation into the circumstances surrounding Michael Montegriffo’s death began. A witness appeal was issued by Police that same day and a number of people were interviewed.

Postmortem findings meant investigation became murder enquiry

A postmortem was conducted by a Home Office Forensic Pathologist which established that Mr Montegriffo died of injuries which were not consistent with having fallen from a height or being struck by a passing vehicle.

This supported findings of examinations carried out of the scene.

The investigation then became a murder enquiry and further forensic work continued at the scene.

Police reached out to potential witnesses who may have been in, or passing through Prince Edward’s Road on the morning in question, as well as anyone who may have been in contact with, or seen, Mr Montegriffo in the days before his death.

£25,000 reward offered & appeals for information renewed

A £25,000 reward was offered for any information which could lead to the resolution of the case.

In its initial appeal for witnesses, police said Michael Montegriffo's injuries were likely to have been caused by an individual who was known to him, and with whom he had been having an argument for some time. A spokesperson also said the individual probably didn't plan for the conflict or the way that it ended, but rather may have acted impulsively after losing their temper, and that this would have been a type of anger and hostility which the individual would carry over into other relationships and conflicts.

Every year, on the anniversary of his death, the appeal for information was refreshed, with police continuing to call for witnesses.

Last July, Greater Manchester Police carried out a peer review of the Royal Gibraltar Police's investigation of the still-unsolved death, and recommendations were made as to how the investigation should progress.

CCTV images released

Last month a new strategy was deployed. CCTV stills of people in the area at the time of the death were released to the public, with police requesting any information on the identities of those pictured. They stressed that these individuals were not suspects - they were people who could help with further inquiries.

09:11 on Tuesday 23rd of November 2021 - arrest made, reward remains unclaimed

On Wednesday morning, police confirmed an arrest had been carried out. A 33 year old local man. The identity has not yet been revealed, and no charges have been made at this stage.

In answer to GBC questions, police have confirmed that the £25,000 reward has not been claimed following the arrest.

Photo of Michael Montegriffo released by the police to assist their appeal to the public for information