18th October 2020, 21:15
Downing Street has confirmed that official negotiations over a future economic partnership with the EU are over and that the UK should get ready leave without a deal.
The stark message at the end of last week’s meetings comes as Boris Johnson reportedly accused the EU’s Chief Negotiator of ‘abandoning’ a free trade deal. The Prime Minister is said to have told Michel Barnier not to come to London today to resolve the stalled talks. The sticking points remain fishing access and competition issues.
However, speaking to the BBC on Sunday, Cabinet Minister Michael Gove said the door is “still ajar” adding the UK Government hopes the EU will change its position. Nevertheless, he said the chances of a deal were now less than 50%.
Meanwhile, the President of the EU Commission Ursula von der Leyen has said she will continue to work for a deal – but not at any price.
She confirmed that the EU’s negotiation team will go to London this week as planned, to try to intensify negotiations.